Do you have a writer on your holiday gift list? A friend or family member who loves to journal or perhaps has a blog? Your recipient doesn’t need to be a professional author to enjoy one of our gift ideas. Amateur and professional writers alike will enjoy one of these thoughtful gifts!
1. A subscription to Grammarly.com. You add Grammarly to your web browser and it automatically checks your writing for over 250 common grammar mistakes. You see the suggested correction right on the screen as well as the reasoning being the suggestion. It works on social media, blog postings, emails and most of the web. You can use the basic service for free but there are paid upgrades that unlock a variety of other features including plagiarism checks. The premium plan is about $120 for the year but I have seen specials for as much as 50% off. Grammarly makes a great gift for students or those who write for business.
2. A Midori Traveler’s Notebook. These leather, refillable notebooks are a cult classic with writers. The outside is a leather wrap that gets better with age. The user can personalize the inside with various notebooks and inserts. My personal favorite is the passport size which is perfect for holding a calendar, a blank sketchbook, and a lined notebook. It’s always in my purse for catching a note or doing a quick sketch. You can find a ton of videos online about how people use their notebooks to give you ideas.
3. A Writer’s Scarf. A writer friend who is also a fashionista will enjoy one of the writer scarfs from etsy.com. Pick your friend’s favorite author or quote and check out the selection from different artists. You’ll also find t-shirts and other wearable author art on etsy.com.
4. The Elements of Style (classic reprint, hardcover). Every writer has or should have, a copy of The Elements of Style by William Strunk Jr. This classic book teaches writers how to write clear, correct English. The hardcover book with stand up to the years of heavy use it will be getting!
5. Moleskin Smart Writing Set. This one is a big splurge at $199. The writer uses the pen to write in a Moleskin notebook and the app transfers the freehand notes to your tablet screen. Once the writing is digitized you can search, tag, and organize your notes. You can use colors, make corrections and add voice notes. Amazingly, the app knows which page you are writing on and keeps your notes all together for that page. The Moleskin Smart Writing Set is a game changer for writers, students, and techies!